Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!

Forums  

Advertise with Classic Motorcycling Australia
Advertise with Classic Motorcycling Australia

All Forums
 Classic, Historic & Post Classic Motorcycling
 General Comments
 G'day, From a Newbie
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
  Current Topic Rating: Total Rating: 0 | Join the Forum to Rate this Topic at: Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums  

corsa
Level 1 Member

Victoria

3 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2010 :  9:00:15 PM  Show Profile Send corsa a Private Message  

G'day, everyone,
My name's Lee Slocombe and I'm keen on getting a Classic racebike, I've raced allsorts of bikes from MX to a Superbike, (With the Hartwell Club)but I'm getting older (and more sensible, but definately slower!!! lol).
And I'm on the look out for my next project racer, I have a thing for either a BSA Goldstar or a Ducati TT1/TT2/F1 Replica.
So my questions are:
Who do I talk to regarding bike eligibilty etc..
Has anyone got any leads on who to talk to regarding a Ducati TT frame kit in Oz or NZ?
Norton Manx Replica Frames?

Cheers,
Lee.

Alan Cotterell
In a time out state

Victoria

421 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2010 :  3:55:30 PM  Show Profile Send glen20 a Private Message  

For Ducati, it's hard to go past Bob Brown in Kensignton, Melb. I believe he still has a replica of the Kevin Magee bike - the original went to Alan Cathcart.
Go to Top of Page

corsa
Level 1 Member

Victoria

3 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2010 :  8:21:15 PM  Show Profile Send corsa a Private Message  

Thanks, I'll chase Bob up and see what he can help me with.
I was at the Island last weekend and saw a few really cool Ducati's and I've got a thing for Goldies so it was good to see some out there on the track.
Couldn't believe the amount of Manx Nortons, very nice, but I just have a thing for The Goldie Motor, so at a push, I could build a Goldie powered Manx. Time will tell.

Better start seeing what's out there.
Cheers.
Lee.
Go to Top of Page

Jaffa56
Level 1 Member

New Zealand

3 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2010 :  05:24:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jaffa56's Homepage Send Jaffa56 a Private Message  

Another option for TT frames is Steve Bridge in NZ. You must be logged in to see this link.
Go to Top of Page

Alan Cotterell
In a time out state

Victoria

421 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2010 :  07:55:21 AM  Show Profile Send glen20 a Private Message  

Ducatis are really good things, but they fall into the same category as my Seeley Norton 850. There is no class of historic racing in which they are really competitive. Perhaps you should look at BEARs racing? You might get a better deal there. A Gold Star BSA is a much better way to go, period 3 500s are the premier class in historic racing. You'll get great competitive rides there.
Go to Top of Page

Alan Cotterell
In a time out state

Victoria

421 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2010 :  08:01:30 AM  Show Profile Send glen20 a Private Message  

Corsa, a good way to go, is to build a featherbed frame with a 500cc two valve Jawa engine, and a Triumph 5 speed gearbox. Getting a decent drum brake for the front is the only real problem in building the bike. Unmodified, the Jawa engine is faster than any Goldie ever was, and it's possible to buy two pairs of gears which will improve the Triumph gearbox.
Go to Top of Page

Alan
Forum Moderator

Western Australia

353 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2010 :  1:15:19 PM  Show Profile Send Alan a Private Message  

Have you forgotten the Ducati Mal Campbell rode and should have won the Nationals on in Tasmania?

Alan Sidecar21 WA
Go to Top of Page

GD66

Western Australia

390 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2010 :  2:43:07 PM  Show Profile Send GD66 a Private Message  

Or the 500 Pantah ridden by Mitch Mulligan who was the quickest in P5 Senior at the Phillip Island nats ?
Go to Top of Page

Alan Cotterell
In a time out state

Victoria

421 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2010 :  6:14:03 PM  Show Profile Send glen20 a Private Message  

There are not many Mal Campbells around. A while ago he expressed interest in period 6. He still has the VF Honda he rode around Wayne Gardner in the 6 hour in about 1983. I can only remember one fast Ducati around 1980. It was the 851 Bob Brown had Kevin Magee on - the only 4 valve aircooled Ducati. Getting a duke to go fast can be done, but it's an expensive exercise. Somebody should buy the Magee replica off Brown, all they'd have to do then is buy a CR gearbox.
Go to Top of Page

matcho mick
Advanced Member

New South Wales

570 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2010 :  11:16:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit matcho mick's Homepage Send matcho mick a Private Message  

or the Ron Young Ducati bevel twin with young Bob onboard won every unlimited P4 race there,maxed the points,(dosen't carry race # 1 for nothing),lnteresting to see both V twins in the wet races,Muldoons big bore XS Yamaha flog the big jappo multi's,no sustitute for torquein the wet!,Bob also rode Rons genuine TT2 in the P5 unlimited,so lots of fast Ducati's on the island last weekend
Go to Top of Page

Alan Cotterell
In a time out state

Victoria

421 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2010 :  06:52:11 AM  Show Profile Send glen20 a Private Message  

Lee, if you are really interested in buying a Ducati frame, you might ring Peter Cross at Trackside Tuning, Old Hume Highway, Winton. He's next door to the raceway. He makes replicas. Also has a fast 860.
Go to Top of Page

corsa
Level 1 Member

Victoria

3 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2010 :  7:49:25 PM  Show Profile Send corsa a Private Message  

Thanks, for the replies everyone, yes, I spoke to Ron Young at the Island, he has an awesome Ducati TT2, as well as his Bevel Drive too. I really need to see if I can get all the parts to build a TT2/TT1 and then keep it running, as apposed to a Goldie, not sure yet, I'll keep doing my homework.

One thing, I heard that Mike Farrel in Qld was making Goldie Engine Cases and heads? Does anybody know anything about this?
I was looking at a Manx Replica frame by Fabtec (I think that's what they're called). Again anyone used these frames? They looked pretty good.

Cheers,
Lee
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums © 2000 - 2024 Go To Top Of Page
This page was put together in 0.19 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 by Classic Motorcycling Australia | Web design by: Greening Computer Services