Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!

Forums  

Advertise with us
Advertise with us

All Forums
 Classic, Historic & Post Classic Motorcycling
 Forgotten Era
 New Rules for 2010
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

john feakes
Advanced Member

Victoria

791 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2010 :  09:47:08 AM  Show Profile Send john feakes a Private Message  

This does make a mockery of the period notion.
If the only bikes that can win are 1982 bikes why have a period at all?
I thought that historic racing was all about preserving the past and enjoying riding old bikes with a bunch of like minded mates.
If WINNING is the only thing that matters then the sport will be much poorer for it. Should we now call it Formula 82 racing?
I think the real problem is with the process that allows such changes to occur.
Proposed by one, endorsed behind closed doors by three, affects everyone.
Did anyone object?

125 RIDERS' ALLIANCE

A wise person simplifies the complicated, a fool complicates the simple.
Go to Top of Page

Alan Cotterell
In a time out state

Victoria

421 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2010 :  09:57:03 AM  Show Profile Send glen20 a Private Message  

If the new rules gives someone a MAJOR advantage, there is something wrong! It wouldn't matter if the same person won nearly every race in a particular period. That already happens! However there should never be the situation where the field gets lapped after about 3 laps of a race. The aim should be to have the field closed up without tailenders miles behind. We cannot promote that sort of 'racing', because it isn't RACING!
Go to Top of Page

Alan Cotterell
In a time out state

Victoria

421 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2010 :  10:43:52 AM  Show Profile Send glen20 a Private Message  

Oldkwak, I can only presume by 'suzuki mutants' you are referring to the XR69 production racer? What is historic racing about if it doesn't provide for some preservation of genuine old racing machines? If someone brings out a RSC Honda or an XR69 Suzuki, I'll be there taking photos, and watching the way it goes with extreme interest! It'd give a real boost to our sport. Let's hope someone is cashed up enough to do it?
Go to Top of Page

mboddy
Level 2 Member

Australian Capital Territory

26 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2010 :  12:42:24 PM  Show Profile Send mboddy a Private Message  

So do you think that this rule change will make the Vincent uncompetitive?
Go to Top of Page

OldKwak
Level 2 Member

Victoria

156 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2010 :  3:32:54 PM  Show Profile Send OldKwak a Private Message  

In fact it might, depends who is "cashed up enough to do it"
Go to Top of Page

GD66

Western Australia

390 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2010 :  7:08:11 PM  Show Profile Send GD66 a Private Message  

Well head to the Island Classic then Alan, because Lea Gourlay will be galloping an XR69 for the Poms, and if I'd had about a week's more notice, he'd have been joined by Guy Martin on another one. Nice !

Edited by - GD66 on 08 Jan 2010 7:09:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

Alan Cotterell
In a time out state

Victoria

421 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2010 :  10:14:52 AM  Show Profile Send glen20 a Private Message  

It's really beaut that someone is bringing out an XR69. I saw an original in a museum in the Lakes District in the UK last year. It was one of the 'forward thrust' bikes. I might have a photo, I'll see if I can find it and put a link on this forum.
Go to Top of Page

Alan Cotterell
In a time out state

Victoria

421 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2010 :  10:20:47 AM  Show Profile Send glen20 a Private Message  

I remember reading the plaque with this XR69, and I think it was one of the first built:
You must be logged in to see this link.
Go to Top of Page

GD66

Western Australia

390 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2010 :  7:30:02 PM  Show Profile Send GD66 a Private Message  

Strap up, baby. Seems David Johnson will be galloping an XR69 as well. And Steve Martin on a GSX1100. Gardner publicity has gone quiet, however, could be some doubt about his attendance...
Go to Top of Page

Alan Cotterell
In a time out state

Victoria

421 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2010 :  05:32:11 AM  Show Profile Send glen20 a Private Message  

It'd be a pity if Gardner didn't front. The XR69 thing can only be good for the sport.
Go to Top of Page

john feakes
Advanced Member

Victoria

791 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2010 :  09:06:35 AM  Show Profile Send john feakes a Private Message  

On the subject of rare and beautiful machinery I have just heard from Ferry Brouwer that they are sending a Yamaha RA31A to N.Z. for Hugh Anderson to ride at the Feb. 6th-7th Pukekohe meeting.
What a pity it isn't coming to P.I. as well.

125 RIDERS' ALLIANCE

A wise person simplifies the complicated, a fool complicates the simple.
Go to Top of Page

Alan Cotterell
In a time out state

Victoria

421 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2010 :  8:20:37 PM  Show Profile Send glen20 a Private Message  

It's probably about time we worked on closer cooperation with the NZ crew who organise the meetings in february? I understand Pukekoe, and another meeting are to be held in the two weeks following PI. At present it appears the Poms spend their money and get rides at 3 meetings. It'd be better if we could run a mainland series, and lead up to the NZ meetings. All it needs is someone who really wants to make a dollar to get off their backside and negotiate and organise.
Go to Top of Page

sammie257
Level 1 Member

UK

1 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2010 :  10:38:38 AM  Show Profile Send sammie257 a Private Message  

quote:
Originally posted by GD66

Well head to the Island Classic then Alan, because Lea Gourlay will be galloping an XR69 for the Poms, and if I'd had about a week's more notice, he'd have been joined by Guy Martin on another one. Nice !

Hi Does any one have any race results from Phillip Island. My Dad has driven me mad all day asking me to find out.
He made Lea and Guys xr69s
Thanks, Samantha

Edited by - sammie257 on 24 Jan 2010 10:40:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

revhd
Level 2 Member

Victoria

108 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2010 :  7:20:12 PM  Show Profile Send revhd a Private Message  

google ,, computime,,,all the results are on line now

125 alliance
Go to Top of Page

racer7
Level 2 Member

67 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2010 :  7:20:35 PM  Show Profile Send racer7 a Private Message  

sammie, look at You must be logged in to see this link.
Go to Top of Page

mboddy
Level 2 Member

Australian Capital Territory

26 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2010 :  07:42:19 AM  Show Profile Send mboddy a Private Message  

I have posted a question about what floating disks are now eligible for Forgotten Era here: You must be logged in to see this link.
Go to Top of Page

GD66

Western Australia

390 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2010 :  5:55:57 PM  Show Profile Send GD66 a Private Message  

quote:
Originally posted by glen20

It's probably about time we worked on closer cooperation with the NZ crew who organise the meetings in february? I understand Pukekoe, and another meeting are to be held in the two weeks following PI.

Whisperings at The Island that next year there may be a meeting at Eastern Creek in between the Island Classic and Pukekohe. While on the surface, this may appear to answer all the questions, the reality is that the NZCMRR are a stodgy bunch who run a strictly No the other type of bike policy at their marquee meeting, which is relaxed only when they're able to attract the participation of the likes of Virgil Ehlings' ex-Hailwood Reynolds-framed Honda, and this year the Ferry Brouwer Yamaha RA31 V4 125. So it would be a massive understatement to say that the inclusion of a pommie P5 team on the race programme at Pukekohe would be a Big Surprise...
Go to Top of Page

OldKwak
Level 2 Member

Victoria

156 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2010 :  12:20:35 PM  Show Profile Send OldKwak a Private Message  

Well I give up, I was wrong. It looks as if the 1982 cut off will have no immediate impact. I am convinced by the performance of Steve Martin, hitting 1.39 on a GSX1100. WOW this would probably have got him a mid field placing in the WSBK let alone a full straight length win in a historic race. Admittedly this was a special bike (God knows what was in it) but the rider was extraordinary. Goes to show the Vincent is NOT invincible and I now think a properly prepared bike with a good rider will win every time.

Best I go and properly prepare my bike and learn to ride.
Go to Top of Page

probike
Level 1 Member

Victoria

5 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2010 :  5:34:19 PM  Show Profile Send probike a Private Message  

Hey guy's Trevor and myself [Dale] built steve's bike we are fron drag racing went to the island last year and decided to build a gsx 1100 the engine has the same pistons cams valve's as avalible to every body it's just put together the right way you would be suprised how old and beatup some of the stuff is. We were just lucky to have a fast bike on the weekend and one of the best and nicest guy's in Steve to ride it. Hope to be out again soon you're more the welcome to drop by and say hello Regards Dale
Go to Top of Page

Bummers
Level 3 Member

Queensland

244 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2010 :  10:46:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bummers's Homepage Send Bummers a Private Message  

Congratulations Dale & Trevor a job well done. I ran into Pommie Pete at Phillip Island who was telling me about your involvement with Steve Martin. Shows what can be done with a GSX with good engineering. I'm surprised there isn't more road racing involvement from the drag racing fraternity as they have been continually developing the motors since the 80s & know how to tune a "mild" motor that is durable & a weapon in the right hands.

“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” Steve McQueen
Go to Top of Page

OldKwak
Level 2 Member

Victoria

156 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2010 :  2:13:55 PM  Show Profile Send OldKwak a Private Message  

Fantastic stuff guys, I'm really impressed, particularly to see the domination of some brands and scary beasts come to such a comprehensive end. I was watching Steve from my pit as he was going out for some practice sessions and to see him lift the front wheel so effortlessly as he powered it on out the exit onto the track was a site to behold.

But its not just the motor, the handling was great, I tried to follow him on a couple of laps and it was on rails, particularly on the really fast bumpy bits (exit from southern loop to Honda. WOW

Combine that unit with a great rider and the results speak for themselves ---- Well done.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums © 2000 - 2024 Go To Top Of Page
This page was put together in 0.19 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 by Classic Motorcycling Australia | Web design by: Greening Computer Services