Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!

Forums  

Advertise with Classic Motorcycling Australia
Advertise with Classic Motorcycling Australia

All Forums
 Promotion Area of Historic/Classic/Post Classic
 Honda CB350 Racers Promotion
 CB350: The Saga!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

Ben
Honda CB350 Racers Promotion - Moderator

Victoria

288 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2004 :  3:50:23 PM  Show Profile Send Ben a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

P.S. Can anyone tell what year a CB engine is by the engine number? (I need to get a gasket kit & HD cam chain) If so......

CB350E - 4176390

Cheers,
Ben.

Try Everything
Go to Top of Page

popeye
Level 2 Member

Western Australia

187 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2004 :  5:23:20 PM  Show Profile Send popeye a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

CB350E-4171064 here,

1972 for sure,

check here

You must be logged in to see this link.

we be page 3 boys now, woohoo

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we may as well dance
Go to Top of Page

Ben

Victoria

288 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2004 :  9:21:18 PM  Show Profile Send Ben a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Thanks Popeye, seems mine is 72' as well.

Cheers,
Ben.

Try Everything
Go to Top of Page

popeye
Level 2 Member

Western Australia

187 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2004 :  9:50:50 PM  Show Profile Send popeye a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

If mine was not a 72 I would still be looking for a set of 72 cases to put all the good stuff in, can't see a 350 as a long term P5 prospect.

Got lucky today, went to local cyl head joint to make a jig to remetal rockers, found out he can do almost anything and is reasonably priced, wont have to leave town when I cock up and break things on the CB's.

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we may as well dance
Go to Top of Page

Ben

Victoria

288 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2004 :  2:47:59 PM  Show Profile Send Ben a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

OK, I have another idea for a self generating ignition......will it work?

Standard 3 phase Alternator wired to suzuki 5 wire rectifier/regulator (3 wires in, pos and neg out), this should convert it to a DC power source at the right voltage. Wire the pos to the frame (as in the current total loss), then the neg to the coils and retain the points until further notice (or until I know if CDI will run off this set-up..).

Mmmmm, this sounds like it could work, but do I need a battery eliminator? (given that the regulator only outputs the correct volts anyway I am thinking that it is not required?)
Cheers,
Ben.

Try Everything
Go to Top of Page

popeye
Level 2 Member

Western Australia

187 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2004 :  9:27:26 PM  Show Profile Send popeye a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Does the term "overkill" ring any bells Ben, if you do that, install small sandwich toaster under the ducktail so you can have a feed after the race.

best bet is still to do what everyone else is doing on the smokers in P5, get a magneto CDI system off a MX bike and run it as a waste spark system on a dual output coil. Only have to put a flat aluminium plate fitted with two oil seals for the crank, then bolt sidecover over magneto, it will keep your mag dry and if you ventilate the sidecover right will also keep it cool.

Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2004 :  10:06:02 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Ben, elimiante all the trouble and turn it into a diesel it should fix all the ignition problems.

John Daley Sidecar #68
' there are those who do, those who dont do and those who undo. We must lampoon the latter."
Go to Top of Page

Ben

Victoria

288 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2004 :  11:05:30 PM  Show Profile Send Ben a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Overkill is always a great idea.... as is the toaster......and the diesel conversion....at least it would be economical and save on pit stops, I read that someone converted an old enfield to diesel and rode from melbourne to sydney on one tank....
I didn't intend on fitting a car alternator or anything like that, I just thought that the standard CB alternator could be used as stand alone system when hooked through a rectifier....would save stuffing about with machining and the like.......isn't the CB alternator three phase? (three wires coming out...)

Or maybe I am just bored at work.... hee hee.

Try Everything
Go to Top of Page

matcho mick
Advanced Member

New South Wales

570 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2004 :  12:40:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit matcho mick's Homepage Send matcho mick a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

3 phase!!in ya dreams BENNY BOY ,(later T's,& N's are only 2 phase!),yellow is daytime,(basically keeps a battery alive?)pink kicks in for lighting,(or is it the other way round,hmm kraft disease!)believe me your'e better off battery total loss system,re seperate rewound source coils,necessary coz running 2 backboxes,(individual systems),Popeye i'm struggling with your waste spark off one trigger concept!,in your world the r/h fires on comp,left is overlap with waste spark,what fires l/h on comp 360dgs later?,(running off cam remember?)thats why 2 sets of points eh? ,bugger but then your'e proposing running off crank,jeezas i'm getting a headache!!,nothing wrong with running std rotor,it's pretty small!,Ben don't wire std suzy reg/rec + earth,it's a - system,(you can switch wires to reverse it,but thats confusing?)suzy 's the worst electrics to use!,stick with honda,go to cdi setup,it fits straight on camshaft/points plate/stator/rotor perfect,doit! you already have 1/2 of system required!,
Go to Top of Page

popeye
Level 2 Member

Western Australia

187 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2004 :  08:39:52 AM  Show Profile Send popeye a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

The crank mount idea is used in yankland by a couple of guys, the old hands don't go much with it because of crank whip that sends it a little off at times.

Go to Top of Page

Ben

Victoria

288 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2004 :  09:25:52 AM  Show Profile Send Ben a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Haa haa, I guess I know now that 3 wires exiting does not equal 3 phase. Love throwing ideas about though! OK, Mick do you have any diagrams on your system to guide me through? Lets get this straight:

Required hardware.

1 x XR200 CDI timing plate/rotor and advance
2 x XR200 pick-ups
2 x XR200 CDI boxes (or CT110)
2 x XR200 CDI coils
1 x Rewound CB350 stator to XR200 specs
1 x Standard CB350 rotor

Anything else (rectifiers etc, or do the CDI boxes do the AC to DC conversiion)??

Cheers and Thanks.

Try Everything
Go to Top of Page

popeye
Level 2 Member

Western Australia

187 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2004 :  7:32:51 PM  Show Profile Send popeye a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

The Diesel Enfield is a production model ad is available from an Enfield dealer near you, direct from India.

Go to Top of Page

David
Site Administrator

Australia

999 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2004 :  8:23:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit David's Homepage Send David a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Would that be from You must be logged in to see this link.
quote:
Originally posted by popeye

The Diesel Enfield is a production model ad is available from an Enfield dealer near you, direct from India.
a sponsor of this site?

Regards,

David
Webmaster & Owner of Classic Motorcycling Australia

Quote: I thought I wanted a career, turns out I just wanted to be paid.
Go to Top of Page

Ben

Victoria

288 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2004 :  10:19:13 PM  Show Profile Send Ben a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

I think a diesel bike would be ace, I had a look around (abeit on the web) and only found that the Diesel 324 an approved bike for novice riders in NSW. It must be available here?

Try Everything
Go to Top of Page

matcho mick
Advanced Member

New South Wales

570 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2004 :  11:29:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit matcho mick's Homepage Send matcho mick a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

[quote]Originally posted by Ben

Haa haa, I guess I know now that 3 wires exiting does not equal 3 phase. Love throwing ideas about though! OK, Mick do you have any diagrams on your system to guide me through? Lets get this straight:

Required hardware.

2 x XR200 pick-ups
2 x XR200 CDI coils
1 x Standard CB350 rotor

Anything else (rectifiers etc, or do the CDI boxes do the AC to DC conversiion)??

Cheers and Thanks.

Hi Ben,yes thats basically it, you should already have 1 trigger on points plate, you don't need XR flywheel/stator,just std 350s',if you can't get one,i should have some kicking around,the stator just gets 2 generating coils,(for each black box)simple wiring,1 black,1 green from stator coils to blackbox,b/box to coil(blk)/trigger(blu/y,g)/kill button(r/blk),thats it bloody simple!,not sure on size of XR'S b/boxes,posties are smaller than matchbox?,just make sure what you use is all from one model type?,(some triggers have different values!),cheers Mick
Go to Top of Page

matcho mick
Advanced Member

New South Wales

570 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2004 :  11:51:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit matcho mick's Homepage Send matcho mick a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

quote:
Originally posted by Ben

Required hardware.

2 x XR200 pick-ups
2 x XR200 CDI coils
1 x Standard CB350 rotor

Cheers and Thanks.
Hi Ben,thats basically it mate,get the pickups with plates,CT110 cdi boxes are very small about matchbox size only narrower,i guess XR's are the same?the stator has two generating (source coils) which power the b/boxes,all std honda colours!,blk wire,& green wire to b/box ,blk out to coil,r/blk to kill button,yellow/blu,green to trigger pickups,box green to ground,that all folks in the wiring department,bloody simple eh?
just make sure you use the components all from one model type,cheers Mick

ps can organise source coils/stator rewind as i'm getting one done for mine,have another kicking around you can have?,did yours have any stator/rotors?(exchange?)
Go to Top of Page

Ben

Victoria

288 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2004 :  11:00:41 AM  Show Profile Send Ben a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Hey Mick,

That is great man, sounds too simple! I do have a stator and three rotors (got a whole heap of stuff with the bike). Would be great if you could get mine done at the same time as yours (or one of your spares then I'll send you up the one I have), could you PM me with the cost?

Cheers and Thanks
Ben.

Try Everything
Go to Top of Page

matcho mick
Advanced Member

New South Wales

570 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2004 :  11:18:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit matcho mick's Homepage Send matcho mick a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

quote:
Originally posted by popeye

If mine was not a 72 I would still be looking for a set of 72 cases to put all the good stuff in, can't see a 350 as a long term P5 prospect.

Got lucky today, went to local cyl head joint to make a jig to remetal rockers, found out he can do almost anything and is reasonably priced, wont have to leave town when I cock up and break things on the CB's.

popeye just picked up on remetalling rockers,was it low/no oil?,or eccentric adjusters "bum about"?,Ben take note!!k series rockers are eccentric(which we all know!)they have index marks that point outwards,(easy,away from sparking plug)get that wrong,you stuff the rockers!!,
Go to Top of Page

popeye
Level 2 Member

Western Australia

187 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2004 :  08:31:13 AM  Show Profile Send popeye a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Not my bike, something we've been working on with old XL/XR honda's. We have a heap of rocker boxes with rocker faces worn through by tight valve clearances, the lad is stelliting them and we are offering them as exchange units (doing valve clearances on rockers with big holes in them is the pits)along with rebuilt heads.

have taken note of rocker positioning info, will make sure to do it right, thanx

Go to Top of Page

matcho mick
Advanced Member

New South Wales

570 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2004 :  11:11:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit matcho mick's Homepage Send matcho mick a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Hey Ben,when you said 1 mm os pistons, was that std 350 honda pistons?,what is bore size?,could be kawa pistons in 1mm os?,
Go to Top of Page

Ben

Victoria

288 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2004 :  08:51:10 AM  Show Profile Send Ben a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Heya Mick,

From memory (and my primitive ruler measurements..) I think the bore is 65-66mm. The pistons are stamped 1.00 on the crown and ART on the side. In regard to the cam chain the size I think I need is BF05Mx94 (Tsubaki HD). Sound about right? I was thinking of getting a new drive chain when I was out there as well, any recommendations on sizes away from standard? O-ring, non o-ring?
Also, I tore the head gasket when removing the head so have to replace it. I have located someone who makes copper head gaskets in the following sizes: .016 .021 .032 .042 .063 .080 .092 .125 . Any reccomendations on thickness I could use to raise commpression a touch? Should I just get the thinnest (.016) one?
Cheers,
Ben

Try Everything

Edited by - Ben on 22 Jun 2004 09:47:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

popeye
Level 2 Member

Western Australia

187 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2004 :  7:20:20 PM  Show Profile Send popeye a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Use your old gasket and put a little plasti-gage in your valve reliefs on top of the pistons, tighten down head and bump pistons to TDC, take off head and see how thick the plasti-gage is, also allow for expansion of things and the occasional valve float. My suggestion is stick with copper same thickness as stock gasket unless you want to get your valve reliefs machined deeper into the pistons

Go to Top of Page

matcho mick
Advanced Member

New South Wales

570 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2004 :  12:05:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit matcho mick's Homepage Send matcho mick a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

G'day Ben,i agree with popeye,if you must just same thickness as std gasket!,(.020/.030 be ok?),bit too much clearance for plastiguage!,plasticine or wire solder more likely,solders good,just stick it in through the plug hole,rotate over td,(valve overlap too),(sometimes pays to have 2 pieces in to stop piston cocking away for false readings?),re drive chain,switch to 520,a lot more optional sprockets in the smaller chain sizes,(lighter too!! )not familiar with tsubaki's code ,will check 4 u !,not happy about nut/bolt setup on camshaft mate,helicoil?,
Go to Top of Page

popeye
Level 2 Member

Western Australia

187 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2004 :  08:46:06 AM  Show Profile Send popeye a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

I am getting 5 front sprockets and a rear (13-14-15-16-17: 38) in std. selection for the 350/360 in our cattledog, how many options are there in 520??

thanks for the HD camchain info, all our book has is std. chain.

6,8 and 10mm helicoils are a must in the toolbox for these things, although using a mini-torque wrench for all fastenings does negate it after the previous owners f-ups have been rectified (lucky me, both my good engines had never been opened up before)

Go to Top of Page

Ben

Victoria

288 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2004 :  10:06:12 PM  Show Profile Send Ben a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Hiya All,

Thanks for the helicoil/squish measuring suggestions, I check them both out. mmmmmm After taking the clutch case off to check everything out (oil pump etc) I found a 'mystery pin' on the rag I had layed under the engine to catch the oil..... It measures 12.27mm long, 4.0mm thick and is solid, shiny and seems to have spent it's life somewhere nice and oily....
Any ideas where this may have come from? I checked that it was not the oil pump plunger retaining pin and it is way too small to be a needle bearing locating pin..... I'm stumped.
Cheers,
Ben.

Try Everything
Go to Top of Page

matcho mick
Advanced Member

New South Wales

570 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2004 :  11:30:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit matcho mick's Homepage Send matcho mick a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

equipe 350?(has a nice ring to it!),hi gang,ok popeye,maybe just that they're (520) lighter ?,as for rears,Titman/Talon in Qld does alloy sprockets in any configuration!, ben re pin ?,could be from front camchain guide,it's lower section is located with a removable pin in slot on crankcase top?,
Go to Top of Page

Ben

Victoria

288 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2004 :  10:18:40 AM  Show Profile Send Ben a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Yeah, I checked the chain guide pin, it's still there...... The pin I found is very nearly the same size as a cam chain pin.....maybe someone droppped one in the case and figured it would be OK!.

Could there be any pins in the top end (anywhere!) that resemble this? If not, I might just close everything up and put it down to "introduced error".

Man, that oil filter lock nut is a b@#ch to get off (now I need a new one....punches make short work of nut faces...)

Try Everything
Go to Top of Page

popeye
Level 2 Member

Western Australia

187 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2004 :  5:39:50 PM  Show Profile Send popeye a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Ben,

underneath all that grunge on the nut should have been a tab washer, when one folds back the tab it is not a real hard job to get the nut off (if it makes you feel better I learnt the hard way )

Go to Top of Page

Ben

Victoria

288 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2004 :  9:53:32 PM  Show Profile Send Ben a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Hee hee, I bent the lock tabs back first (it was a nice surprise to find it dead clean in there!) and still had to hook into it with a punch! Also, on closer inspection of my cam I noticed that the reason it has a nut/bolt arrangement on one side it that the lug has been broken off then welded back on........ looks solid enough....... time to find a good 250 (higher lift Mick?) cam you think?

Try Everything
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2004 :  10:02:59 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Ben, bin thinkin, I reckon this head has caused so much trouble you should convert it to a 2 stroke, and do away with the valves, clearances, valve bounce, rocker boxes and inserts in the pistons, it sounds a big job.
PS have you got room for the turbo cahrger. I am concerned its taking so long to get the bike running the rest of the 350 cc bikes may have been worn out and you will need to compete with the 500's.

John Daley Sidecar #68
' there are those who do, those who dont do and those who undo. We must lampoon the latter."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums © 2000 - 2023 Go To Top Of Page
This page was put together in 0.31 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Copyright © 2000 - 2023 by Classic Motorcycling Australia | Web design by: Greening Computer Services