Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!

Forums  

Advertise with us
Advertise with us

All Forums
 Promotion Area of Historic/Classic/Post Classic
 Honda CB350 Racers Promotion
 CB350: The Saga!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

Ben
Honda CB350 Racers Promotion - Moderator

Victoria

288 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2004 :  10:06:51 PM  Show Profile Send Ben a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Very perceptive John, you are on to my cunning plan...............

Try Everything
Go to Top of Page

matcho mick
Advanced Member

New South Wales

570 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2004 :  11:50:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit matcho mick's Homepage Send matcho mick a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Hi Ben ,paint that cam green!(so you don't scare the fishes),DID219FTS is hd cam chain i used,another is FTSS(HD in GSXR camchain?),you have to remove rubber dampning on cam sprocket,(which you do anyway!)because square side plates run deeper!,ignore ravings from s/c John,(unbalanced people who need 3rd wheel? ),when you finally got castlated nut off,note spring cup washer has outside written onit!(why did you disturb it?)only have to clean out any "paste" in situ?,(just a bloody stickybeak )
Go to Top of Page

Ben

Victoria

288 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2004 :  11:29:08 AM  Show Profile Send Ben a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Dammit, another thing to replace! I removed the oil filter so I could inspect the oil pump..... in hope of finding the mystery pin location.....But you are right, I am just a sticky beak. Thanx for the cam chain size!
Cheers,
Ben

Try Everything
Go to Top of Page

matcho mick
Advanced Member

New South Wales

570 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2004 :  12:06:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit matcho mick's Homepage Send matcho mick a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

G'day Ben,dug out a spare std camshaft,will "tidy up" and send down,at least will suit your rockers!,juries still out on "fat" cam,not sure of compatable rockers yet,will include new cam bolts too!,unless you already ordered?,Popeye do you want a 360G top gasket set,p/up at swap for $20?post it over?,
Go to Top of Page

Ben

Victoria

288 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2004 :  09:26:20 AM  Show Profile Send Ben a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Thanks Mick! That would be great. I am almost there with the motor, got the new HD cam chain (ended up getting the Tsubaki, the standard one looks veeeeery weak compared to the new one!), ordered new head and base gaskets (.032 each) and soaked the cam sprocket in paint stripper to get the pesky rubber off.
Sounds like you had quite a shed tidy up! I owe you one.
Cheers,
Ben.

Try Everything
Go to Top of Page

Ben

Victoria

288 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2004 :  4:16:09 PM  Show Profile Send Ben a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Hi All,

Another question........ I have split the cases now (damn those endless cam chains!) and am wondering while I have it open if it would do any harm to completely remove the kick start assembly (shaft, gear etc) and just blank off the outer shaft hole??? If this is OK, would the inner shaft hole need to be blanked off as well?
Cheers and Thanks,
Ben.

Try Everything
Go to Top of Page

matcho mick
Advanced Member

New South Wales

570 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2004 :  12:54:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit matcho mick's Homepage Send matcho mick a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

G'day Ben,just plug the hole in outerclutch cover,i did?,removing all internal k/starter mechanism,watch the bearing location pins when you put 2 halves back together!!,maybe thats where the "floater" came from?,good luck reassembling.Mick
Go to Top of Page

matcho mick
Advanced Member

New South Wales

570 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2004 :  10:47:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit matcho mick's Homepage Send matcho mick a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Hey Ben,check out You must be logged in to see this link.(if you havn't already been there?),
Go to Top of Page

matcho mick
Advanced Member

New South Wales

570 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2004 :  10:52:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit matcho mick's Homepage Send matcho mick a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

bugger,left out honda!,should read You must be logged in to see this link.
Go to Top of Page

matcho mick
Advanced Member

New South Wales

570 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2004 :  10:31:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit matcho mick's Homepage Send matcho mick a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Hi Ben,will you let me know the readings (winding resistance) of those coils you seperated on stator for me,will compare them to cdi windings i have?,ta
Go to Top of Page

popeye
Level 2 Member

Western Australia

187 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2004 :  10:00:40 AM  Show Profile Send popeye a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

More on 350's.........was trying to sort the bucket (two strokes are the work of the devil) at a track day yesterday and one of the club members giving me a hand casually mentioned a complete CB350 road bike that had shown up, it should be in the shed in a week or so for the princely sum of $50, this now gives me the option of building the P4 bike while I am learning/blowing up the P5 360, plus theluxury of having a spare 350 engine for parts.

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we may as well dance
Go to Top of Page

matcho mick
Advanced Member

New South Wales

570 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2004 :  11:23:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit matcho mick's Homepage Send matcho mick a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

good 1 popeye,geezas we can start our own club mate!
Go to Top of Page

Ben

Victoria

288 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2004 :  09:27:52 AM  Show Profile Send Ben a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Hiya all,

Nice one popeye, sounds like you will need another shed............ Mick, I attempted to measure the resistance of the standard ignition coils (separated) but can't seem to get an accurate reading. With the meter set on 200 it seems to settle down to 1.4, but this seems low? Maybe I am connecting it incorrectly or something............ What do the CDI windings measure at?

Try Everything
Go to Top of Page

popeye
Level 2 Member

Western Australia

187 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2004 :  7:48:19 PM  Show Profile Send popeye a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Correct me someone if I am wrong but my understanding is that CDI/Electronic coils must have a minimum 3000 Ohm resistance and points ignition coils a minimum of 5000 Ohm.

Not time for another shed just yet, but the Oldwing will be stored in the shop when I get it down here in a couple of months. With careful organisation I can just get the 350 one side, the 360 the other, bucket up the end and workspace in the middle.........did I tell you my car is rusting to death outside

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we may as well dance
Go to Top of Page

matcho mick
Advanced Member

New South Wales

570 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2004 :  9:55:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit matcho mick's Homepage Send matcho mick a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Ben,crank up your scale,think mine was just under 300 ohms,Popeye we're measuring source coils mate ,(down stairs,not upstairs!),
Go to Top of Page

popeye
Level 2 Member

Western Australia

187 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2004 :  08:28:40 AM  Show Profile Send popeye a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Ooooops, ya got me looking at the wrong end again..............the values for source coils are a little lower, also much more variance from model to model and even different manufacturers within the same model range, lucky I'm staying with total loss electrics, nothing on the left hand end of my crank at all.

Go to Top of Page

Ben

Victoria

288 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2004 :  09:05:00 AM  Show Profile Send Ben a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Hiya all,

well, I am getting pretty excited, the bike is now well on the way! Just have to sort the ignition and get tyres/sprockets (ps, anyone got suggestions for gearing, Broadford/Winton?) and the bloody thing will be rideable............maybe the swap at the Southern Classic can provide the final accessories............rims and the like..........

Excellent. Just thought I'd post an update.

Popeye, are you starting the new 350?

Try Everything
Go to Top of Page

popeye
Level 2 Member

Western Australia

187 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2004 :  4:13:30 PM  Show Profile Send popeye a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

The bloke with the new one wont be back down here for a couple of months. The 360 has been put on hold pending funds until after I have my teef knocked out and new ones fitted ($$$$), still need steering head bearings and tyres, also have to make a seat /tail unit in keeping with the stock tank, every thing else just about ready, probably wont have it on the dyno til xmas and sorting the carbs (28mm Mikuni) could be a circus, got my fingers crossed for between 35 and 40 real horses at the crank.

with regards gearing, I have a table somewhere that gives top speed for each stock gear pairing available, our supplier can give me 6 front sizes but only one rear out of the cattledog.

Go to Top of Page

Former Member
deleted

174 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2004 :  3:14:03 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Just to add to "The Saga"
www.eurospares.com/350faq.htm

Its not what you ride,Its how fast you ride it!!!
Go to Top of Page

Ben

Victoria

288 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2005 :  09:41:42 AM  Show Profile Send Ben a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Hiya All,

Well after a dose of motivation from the Island Classic I got home on Sunday and went hell for leather...... timed, phased rotor, set points, fit tank, fit pipes & mega, filled with oil & fuel, made throttle cables............ took it out on the street and pushed, and pushed and pushed.........Guess what? The bloody thing actually started!!!! I almost had a heart attack I was so shocked (also that it almost dragged me halfway down the road before the clutch un-stuck, very amusing for the neighbours....). Very Loud and revs out nicely. Maybe the mega length was right after all! People actually came out to see what the racket was, great stuff. One guy even said "thats beautiful"..... not sure about that but I felt pretty great. Can't beleive the home wound magneto actually works!
Track day here we come! Thanks for all the help everyone, next call will be riding tips!

Yaaaaaaaaaahoooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!

Try Everything
Go to Top of Page

Former Member
deleted

15 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2005 :  11:55:57 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Ben , put in a 17 tooth front sprocket. This is the about the biggest you will get in , athough I have heard of 18 being used (modifications ??) Apparently the bigger sprocket has something to do with crank output ?? The rear sprocket really depends on your engine HP and type of track. I don't know anything about Winton or Broadford but I use a 35 or 36 for Wanneroo. For something like Phillip Island you will have to drop it to 33 or less.
Congrats on getting the thing started , it's a great feeling especially if you have sympathetic neighbours. About the megaphone length , what is it?

Ken W.A.
Go to Top of Page

popeye
Level 2 Member

Western Australia

187 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2005 :  5:34:43 PM  Show Profile Send popeye a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

I'm with Ken on the 'mega' question, I have my headers straight out of Phil Irving's rule book........

great to hear it made a noise and even better that it spins right through. Good luck and take it easy setting it up......

1 up and one to go......:(

Go to Top of Page

Ben

Victoria

288 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2005 :  2:11:42 PM  Show Profile Send Ben a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Thanks guys, I'll give a full report after the ride day. Jetting is a little rich but I'll get it sorted no doubt and I'll take the header Vs. Mega measurements tonight then post them tomorrow. The headers are 2 into 1, then 2 inch from the collector, then into a mega measuring 85% of the primary pipe's length (as cited on eurospares FAQ), no reverse cone. Thats all I can remember for now!
Cheers.

Try Everything
Go to Top of Page

Ben

Victoria

288 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2005 :  3:00:35 PM  Show Profile Send Ben a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

OK people, I have posted a picture of "The Saga" (no fairing as yet) in the picture gallery! Pretty much done now, just tuning and a bit of painting (the seat needs to be silver I think....) and we'll be away!

Do a search on cb350 and it you should find it no problems.
Cheers and thanks again for all the help,
Ben.

Try Everything
Go to Top of Page

popeye
Level 2 Member

Western Australia

187 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2005 :  12:44:55 AM  Show Profile Send popeye a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

am very impressed, pat yerself on the back young man....................

when does it debut????...........

Go to Top of Page

Ben

Victoria

288 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2005 :  3:32:03 PM  Show Profile Send Ben a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Thanks Popeye I am hesitant to say given the last debarcle...... but should be within a couple of weeks...... fingers crossed.

Try Everything
Go to Top of Page

David
Site Administrator

Australia

999 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2005 :  5:54:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit David's Homepage Send David a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

For those looking for Bens picture: You must be logged in to see this link.

Regards,

David
Webmaster & Owner of Classic Motorcycling Australia

Quote: I thought I wanted a career, turns out I just wanted to be paid.
Go to Top of Page

matcho mick
Advanced Member

New South Wales

570 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2005 :  12:03:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit matcho mick's Homepage Send matcho mick a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

at last! tangible evidence ,your'e next popeye
Go to Top of Page

Hudo
Level 1 Member

South Australia

5 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2005 :  12:41:38 AM  Show Profile Send Hudo a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Ben
Well done with your efforts , just checked the shots of it and looks ok. Have followed this saga and thought i had better sign on to wish you all the best with your racing , i ran an old honda last year and they are so honest , run avons on it and just throw it at the corners. Regards Hudo

MMF racing
Go to Top of Page

Ben

Victoria

288 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2005 :  11:29:02 AM  Show Profile Send Ben a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Thanks all, much appreciated!

I am now taking it back to total loss/battery igntion. My oh so clever Energy Transfer ignition makes it a nightmare to start, maybe the spark is just not strong enough at cranking speeds to get it going... shame, I like the idea of a self generating igntion.
As Mick Says...... Keep it Simple Stupid..... Can't much simpler than total loss!

Try Everything
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums © 2000 - 2023 Go To Top Of Page
This page was put together in 0.37 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Copyright © 2000 - 2023 by Classic Motorcycling Australia | Web design by: Greening Computer Services