Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!

Forums  

Advertise with us
Advertise with us

All Forums
 Eligibilty Area
 Eligibilty on Motorcycles
 1979 Yamaha rx125
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
  Current Topic Rating: Total Rating: 0 | Join the Forum to Rate this Topic at: Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums  

Wayne Baker
Level 1 Member

New South Wales

10 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2010 :  11:18:10 PM  Show Profile Send Wayne Baker a Private Message  

Thinking about putting this bike on the track
Where can I get expansion chamber design for this engine?
Would a chamber from an RD 250 do & where might I get one of those?
Can i run 17inch wheels with Bridgestone Battlaxe tyres?
What class would it be in?
Is this bike a "Bucket"?

john feakes
Advanced Member

Victoria

791 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2010 :  10:13:31 AM  Show Profile Send john feakes a Private Message  

Wayne, this bike would be a P5 125.
Buckets are, as far as I know, currently limited to 111cc for 2 strokes.
18" wheels unless originally fitted with 17s.
PM sent.
Regards, John

125 RIDERS' ALLIANCE

A wise person simplifies the complicated, a fool complicates the simple.
Go to Top of Page

Alan Cotterell
In a time out state

Victoria

421 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2010 :  10:18:26 AM  Show Profile Send glen20 a Private Message  

One less bike for the bucket grid?
Go to Top of Page

john feakes
Advanced Member

Victoria

791 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2010 :  10:24:28 AM  Show Profile Send john feakes a Private Message  

Perhaps one more for the 125 grid.

125 RIDERS' ALLIANCE

Go to Top of Page

Wayne Baker
Level 1 Member

New South Wales

10 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2010 :  12:52:16 PM  Show Profile Send Wayne Baker a Private Message  

If then a P5 125 & not a bucket, do I have to stick with 18inch wheels or can I use 17inch? I ask because I have access to the newer smaller wheels rather than the VERY heavy stock steel wire spoke wheels. How about fairings & seat? I have access to my son,s spares bin - he races a Honda 125 GP bike & has a collection of "pre-loved" fibreglass bits - I will need to develop my FRP repair skils!
Go to Top of Page

john feakes
Advanced Member

Victoria

791 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2010 :  1:41:11 PM  Show Profile Send john feakes a Private Message  

Wayne, the key to your wheels is what it was originally supplied with.
Get hold of your son's copy of the M.A. rule book and study chapter 16.
Machines are to be visually compatible with the period they represent so any parts need to be of period design.
MatchoMick does a great range of tanks, seats and fairings for historic bikes.
Check out Moto Tumbi.
It would be worth having a chat to M.A. before you build something that may not be eligible for a log book. Call Ross Martin at M.A.
Cheers, John

125 RIDERS' ALLIANCE

Edited by - john feakes on 14 Jun 2010 2:16:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bummers
Level 3 Member

Queensland

244 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2010 :  3:49:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bummers's Homepage Send Bummers a Private Message  

Wayne I think you are stuck with 18" wheels unless you can bore it out to over 500cc you are stuck with 18" wheels. The Battlax BT39s are good, available & much better priced than the Avons. Your best bet is to make up a set of decent lightweight wire wheels in the sizes to suit the tyres, probably 1.85 on the front & a 2.15 on the rear. Disc brakes both ends are allowed & the best shock(s)you can afford.
Racetech bits in the front forks work well & give you some adjustability.
If you want to farm out the engine work work I know a guy (in Brisbane) who could be interested in doing the porting & a pipe for it. PM me if interested & I'll suss it out.

“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” Steve McQueen
Go to Top of Page

Alan Cotterell
In a time out state

Victoria

421 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2010 :  06:32:35 AM  Show Profile Send glen20 a Private Message  

I wonder why P4 & P5 125s cannot run with 'buckets'? Perhaps our rules should have specific exclusions to keep out the models which would blitz everybody else? Seems ridiculous that a combined grid couldn't be used?
Go to Top of Page

john feakes
Advanced Member

Victoria

791 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2010 :  12:13:09 PM  Show Profile Send john feakes a Private Message  

Al, P4 and P5 125 4 STROKES can run with buckets and generally do.
2 strokes can't because of the capacity limit imposed on buckets.
Buckets that are log booked can and do run in historic events.
In essence, some can, some can't.
Cheers, John

125 RIDERS' ALLIANCE

Go to Top of Page

Alan Cotterell
In a time out state

Victoria

421 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2010 :  07:41:06 AM  Show Profile Send glen20 a Private Message  

That sounds sensible. Are bucket races always run at historic meetings, with historic 125cc fourstrokes involved. It would seem a sensible way to get a full grid of tiddlers?
Go to Top of Page

john feakes
Advanced Member

Victoria

791 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2010 :  09:41:17 AM  Show Profile Send john feakes a Private Message  

Al, it is the other way round. Bucket races are not part of historic racing because buckets are not an historic class and most of them don't have and can't get log books, they are generally not old enough.
However some historic 4 stroke 125s do run in the bucket races.
Cheers, John

125 RIDERS' ALLIANCE

Go to Top of Page

Alan Cotterell
In a time out state

Victoria

421 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2010 :  09:03:28 AM  Show Profile Send glen20 a Private Message  

Perhaps bucket races should be run regularly at historic meetings - no log books required? That way we might get new people into historics?
Go to Top of Page

revhd
Level 2 Member

Victoria

108 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2010 :  1:47:51 PM  Show Profile Send revhd a Private Message  

I suggested that a while back ,but from memory got a got a negative response from g.d.
I think it would work very well and as u say we would get some riders getting log books and switching over.
Certainly something worth looking at i think.

125 alliance
Go to Top of Page

john feakes
Advanced Member

Victoria

791 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2010 :  3:15:06 PM  Show Profile Send john feakes a Private Message  

I wonder what the political situation would be?
Technically it would mean running two races at the same time, one historic and one "modern".
I will study them thar rools to see what I can learn.

125 RIDERS' ALLIANCE

Go to Top of Page

GD66

Western Australia

390 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2010 :  4:13:42 PM  Show Profile Send GD66 a Private Message  

quote:
Originally posted by revhd

I suggested that a while back ,but from memory got a got a negative response from g.d.

Certainly wouldn't be from me, Peter. I'm all for whatever it takes to get new gallopers out onto the track. Our club has just auctioned two buckets to new members and we'll be doing what we can to get them out there racing on the cheap.
Go to Top of Page

john feakes
Advanced Member

Victoria

791 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2010 :  4:30:41 PM  Show Profile Send john feakes a Private Message  

I think that was a typo and meant to be J.D.
I remember there being some idea that bucket racers argued too much and would be more bother than they were worth.

125 RIDERS' ALLIANCE

Go to Top of Page

Alan Cotterell
In a time out state

Victoria

421 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2010 :  5:43:44 PM  Show Profile Send glen20 a Private Message  

Perhaps 'arguing too much' might really mean their arguments were sensible, persuasive, progressive, and not in keeping with our traditional negativity? I find it difficult to comprehend why we cannot have a FREE class for tiddlers, to bring new people into our sport. There are simply too many rules, and they're stuffing this class.
Go to Top of Page

revhd
Level 2 Member

Victoria

108 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2010 :  9:50:45 PM  Show Profile Send revhd a Private Message  

yes sorry gd66 i did mean J.D.... i still think its a good idea

125 alliance
Go to Top of Page

john feakes
Advanced Member

Victoria

791 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2010 :  10:02:14 AM  Show Profile Send john feakes a Private Message  

So do I.
Anything that gets more bikes on the track will benefit everyone with the interests of the sport at heart.
The more bikes the less $$$$$$$ to participate.

125 RIDERS' ALLIANCE

Go to Top of Page

john feakes
Advanced Member

Victoria

791 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2010 :  10:05:36 AM  Show Profile Send john feakes a Private Message  

Now, what of Wayne and his proposed bike?
Any developments up there?

125 RIDERS' ALLIANCE

Go to Top of Page

Wayne Baker
Level 1 Member

New South Wales

10 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2010 :  11:25:42 PM  Show Profile Send Wayne Baker a Private Message  

Thanks John - any advice / hints that I can get, especially re carb, porting, ignition and mainly the exhaust. Anyone got experience with these little Yammy 2-strokes? It's only meant to e a bit of fun and not a money pit!
Go to Top of Page

Alan Cotterell
In a time out state

Victoria

421 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2010 :  08:17:59 AM  Show Profile Send glen20 a Private Message  

It's easy to get a two stroke going quick, but the wear rate becomes a problem. It all costs money. How many gears have you got - that's the starting point. Next is the ignition system.
Go to Top of Page

Wayne Baker
Level 1 Member

New South Wales

10 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2010 :  6:35:55 PM  Show Profile Send Wayne Baker a Private Message  

Thanks again - it has the standard 5 sped box, actually standard everything! what can be done to the ignition? I am not a mechanic but can manage al fabrication whether in steel, plastic, fibreglass. Am I expecting too much of this little jigger? Is this a common bike to start with or am I better off with something else? It owes me nothing and I'm just after a bit of fun, not trying to win a world title!
Go to Top of Page

Wayne Baker
Level 1 Member

New South Wales

10 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2010 :  6:38:16 PM  Show Profile Send Wayne Baker a Private Message  

Back again. Still wondering about the exhaust. Anyone got any suggestions? I've been looking at chamber design on the 'net & so far the maths is amazing! Anyone got a simpler approach?
Go to Top of Page

Wayne Baker
Level 1 Member

New South Wales

10 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2010 :  8:51:56 PM  Show Profile Send Wayne Baker a Private Message  

Back again, again:
2 more questions:
I see a bloke on this forum doing a CB125 Honda as a P4 bike - what's the difference between this & a "bucket"?
& back to my little Yammie - I will have al the lights, mudguards, seat , tank etc left over - anyone need all this stuff?
Go to Top of Page

john feakes
Advanced Member

Victoria

791 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2010 :  10:47:02 AM  Show Profile Send john feakes a Private Message  

Wayne, a CB125 can run as a bucket as it is a 4 stroke and is well under the 4 stroke capacity limit. Buckets have smaller capacity limits imposed on 2 strokes in an attempt to level the playing field.
Check the Bucket Racing Association for detailed information.
Cheers, John

125 RIDERS' ALLIANCE

Go to Top of Page

Wayne Baker
Level 1 Member

New South Wales

10 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2010 :  10:54:01 AM  Show Profile Send Wayne Baker a Private Message  

so then could the cb125 run as both a p4 & a bucket?
what's the difference between p4 & p5?
Go to Top of Page

Bummers
Level 3 Member

Queensland

244 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2010 :  11:53:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bummers's Homepage Send Bummers a Private Message  

quote:
Originally posted by Wayne Baker

so then could the cb125 run as both a p4 & a bucket?
what's the difference between p4 & p5?

MA Rules: You must be logged in to see this link.
MA Historic rules: You must be logged in to see this link.
Bucket racing Rules: You must be logged in to see this link.

“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” Steve McQueen
Go to Top of Page

Wayne Baker
Level 1 Member

New South Wales

10 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2010 :  7:41:15 PM  Show Profile Send Wayne Baker a Private Message  

Also I have had a look at the Bucket Website, which has this confusing information:
111cc for air-cooled 2-strokes,
but includes Yamaha rx125 frame & engine on the list of homologated equipment.
So is this engine not a full 125?
Wayne
Go to Top of Page

Wayne Baker
Level 1 Member

New South Wales

10 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2010 :  7:48:58 PM  Show Profile Send Wayne Baker a Private Message  

Back again:
the Bucket Website also includes Yamaha DT175 engines - how does that fit in with the 111cc limit?
Go to Top of Page

Alan Cotterell
In a time out state

Victoria

421 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2010 :  9:47:49 PM  Show Profile Send glen20 a Private Message  

Wayne, the cheapest way to get a chamber for your 125, would be to find an old one off a TZ250. There must be quite a few lying about, I might even have one myself.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums © 2000 - 2024 Go To Top Of Page
This page was put together in 0.23 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 by Classic Motorcycling Australia | Web design by: Greening Computer Services