Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!

Forums  

Advertise with us
Advertise with us

All Forums
 Classic, Historic & Post Classic Motorcycling
 Forgotten Era
 P5 carbies
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
  Current Topic Rating: Total Rating: 0 | Join the Forum to Rate this Topic at: Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums  

Bummers
Level 3 Member

Queensland

244 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2006 :  11:19:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bummers's Homepage Send Bummers a Private Message  

Does anyone know if there were rectangular slide carbies available before Dec 1980?
Perhaps Lectrons?
Or???

Bummers

“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” Steve McQueen

Alan
Forum Moderator

Western Australia

353 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2006 :  7:29:13 PM  Show Profile Send Alan a Private Message  

Lectrons are definately legal for Period 5 and if anyone asks refer them to the Vincent sidecar running in Period 5 at present. Dont know of any other flatslides that would be acceptable though, if you do come up with some it would be good to post it on here so everyone would then be aware of them.
Good luck

Alan Sidecar21 WA
Go to Top of Page

Bummers
Level 3 Member

Queensland

244 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2007 :  11:00:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bummers's Homepage Send Bummers a Private Message  

When were flat slide Mikunis first available?
Anyone know?

Bummers

Go to Top of Page

Ben
Honda CB350 Racers Promotion - Moderator

Victoria

288 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2007 :  09:35:28 AM  Show Profile Send Ben a Private Message  

I am no period 5 expert, but have a look at the Kenny Roberts TZ500 at the following link, it was running flat slide mikunis in 1980. Worth looking into?

You must be logged in to see this link.

Cheers,

Ben.

Try Everything
Go to Top of Page

Bummers
Level 3 Member

Queensland

244 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2007 :  9:40:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bummers's Homepage Send Bummers a Private Message  

Hmmm... There they say that Roberts bike was "running either 34, 36 or 38mm round or flat slide Mikuni carbs"
I wonder if that means they had a choice of all those carbies or the writer wasn't sure if Roberts ran *either* round or flat slide carbs?
I know KR ran Lectrons on a lot of his Yamahas.
In the specs of the TZ500s on the TZ350 and 250 site they list the Mikuni VM34SS as the standard carb (for the '80 model) TZ500 but when I googled for that carb I found that it was a round slide carb for a four stroke SR500 Yamaha!
But I also found reference to that model Mikuni (round slide) also being used on a 1980 Polaris 2-stroke jet ski!
I still haven't found any reference to a flat slide Mikuni or that era.

Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2007 :  5:08:40 PM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  

There were Wal Phillips Fuel Injection systems around in the 50s. Why don't you copy a couple of those and use a full Motec engine management system?

Is your machine authentic or merely eligible?
Go to Top of Page

Bummers
Level 3 Member

Queensland

244 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2007 :  11:31:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bummers's Homepage Send Bummers a Private Message  

If only!

Rule 16.5.5.5

What about flat slide Keihens?? Were there any before 1981?

Go to Top of Page

mboddy
Level 2 Member

Australian Capital Territory

26 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2007 :  07:46:31 AM  Show Profile Send mboddy a Private Message  

quote:
Originally posted by Ben

I am no period 5 expert, but have a look at the Kenny Roberts TZ500 at the following link, it was running flat slide mikunis in 1980. Worth looking into?

You must be logged in to see this link.

Kenny was running flat slide Lectrons.
Go to Top of Page

Bummers
Level 3 Member

Queensland

244 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2007 :  08:46:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bummers's Homepage Send Bummers a Private Message  

[/quote]

Kenny was running flat slide Lectrons.

[/quote]

That's what I thought.
So when did flat slide Mikunis or Keihens turn up?

Go to Top of Page

mboddy
Level 2 Member

26 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2007 :  9:46:18 PM  Show Profile Send mboddy a Private Message  

As best as I can determine:
Mikuni TM 1983
Keihin PJ 1985
Mikuni TMX 1987
Keihin PWK 1988
Mikuni TMS 1992
Mikuni PM 1998
Keihin PWM 199?

Lectrons are ok for Period 5.

Fuel injection is banned from Period 5.

Edited by - mboddy on 18 Jan 2007 9:57:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

Black Pete
Level 1 Member

Northern Territory

14 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2007 :  02:10:22 AM  Show Profile Send Black Pete a Private Message  

Gardner carbs, Lake & Posa fuel are all eligible for P4 so would be ok for P5. The Lake & Posa fuel are what the later Lectrons (P5 eligible)were based on. Have seen approx. a dozen Lakes of various sizes on Ebay over the last 8-10 months.
Regards, Pete
Go to Top of Page

Bummers
Level 3 Member

Queensland

244 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2007 :  08:28:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bummers's Homepage Send Bummers a Private Message  

Thanks Pete,

I've just got hold of a Lectron from a bloke in the US.

Does anyone know where I might get Lectron needles in Australia?

Go to Top of Page

Black Pete
Level 1 Member

Northern Territory

14 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2007 :  12:36:52 AM  Show Profile Send Black Pete a Private Message  

From memory, going back quite a few years, heard Bert Flood (Box Hill, Victoria) was the agent. A few years ago I think he was trading under Bert Flood Imports selling Rotax motors for Ultra light planes.
Believe Rob Hinton (Taree) uses Lectrons on (at least one) of his Yamahas - might be worth chasing up. If you find a source let us all know.
Cheers, Pete
Go to Top of Page

Black Pete
Level 1 Member

Northern Territory

14 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2007 :  03:07:54 AM  Show Profile Send Black Pete a Private Message  

Bummers,
Just for your & any others interest both Posa Fuel & Lake flat slides on Ebay at this time. Posa fuel item number 190103225233 & Lake item number 170102423087.
Regards, Pete
P.S. Methanol for P5 bikes is on the agenda for discussion by the MA commissioners at their meeting next month.
P.P.S. My P4 Yamaha TA125 (on petrol) does 2.01.5 at Eastern Creek (with an 87kg- at least that's what he admits to- 6'2 rider-not me).
P.P.P.S. Picked up a while ago a Kawasaki KX125 (mid 70's) with a watercooled Suzuki RG500 Mk.1 cylinder grafted to it. Not done anything with it as yet as gearbox is stuffed & needs plenty of TLC as it has been sitting for probably 25 years.
Go to Top of Page

Bummers
Level 3 Member

Queensland

244 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2007 :  10:36:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bummers's Homepage Send Bummers a Private Message  

See topic change to Forgotten Era - "P5/P4 125s"

Go to Top of Page

Alan
Forum Moderator

Western Australia

353 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2007 :  6:37:35 PM  Show Profile Send Alan a Private Message  

There is a bloke over here that has a bunch of Lectron parts if you can identify numbers or a full description I can go and see him and see whether he can help.

Alan Sidecar 21 WA
Go to Top of Page

Bummers
Level 3 Member

Queensland

244 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2007 :  10:51:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bummers's Homepage Send Bummers a Private Message  

Alan,

At this stage I'm not really sure what I need as we haven't run the bike with the Lectron on it, yet.
It's a 36mm Lectron which came with a 6.2 metering rod in it and additional 5.1, 6.1 & 7.1 supplied. But until I run it I don't know if I'm in the ball park with any of them.
With my Mikuni 35mm (bored 34) I'm generally running a 310 main jet, a Q-4 needle jet, a 6DP1 needle and a 45 pilot jet.
Whether this is convertible to Lectron jetting by those in the know, I wouldn't know.
I live in hope!
Bummers

Go to Top of Page

mboddy
Level 2 Member

26 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2007 :  06:24:15 AM  Show Profile Send mboddy a Private Message  

What are you putting it on?
Does it have a powerjet?
Go to Top of Page

Bummers
Level 3 Member

Queensland

244 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2007 :  10:09:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bummers's Homepage Send Bummers a Private Message  

quote:
Originally posted by mboddy

What are you putting it on?
Does it have a powerjet?

I'm putting it on my KX125 based P5 road racer.
No, it doesn't have a Powerjet but I was wondering about fitting one later, if it is of benefit.

Bummers

Go to Top of Page

WHITEY
Level 1 Member

South Australia

2 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2007 :  10:50:03 PM  Show Profile Send WHITEY a Private Message  

IM SELLING A LECTRON POWER JET CARB TO SUIT A 125 MOTOCROSSER OF THE LATE 1970s ON EBAY. GOING CHEAP WITH A STARTING PRICE OF $29. SEARCH IN EBAY FOR LECTRON. I AM WHITEYS2ETUNE.
WHITEY
Go to Top of Page

mboddy
Level 2 Member

26 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2007 :  08:06:40 AM  Show Profile Send mboddy a Private Message  

I would put a powerjet on it and try it with the 6-2 first.
Go to Top of Page

Calvin
Level 1 Member

Victoria

3 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2009 :  12:00:50 AM  Show Profile Send Calvin a Private Message  

hey guys, does anyone know if there is size restrictions on carbies in period 5? mikuni smoothbores, i think, come in 34, 36, 38 and 40mm. r they all legal??? cheers.

hold it on!!!
Go to Top of Page

OldKwak
Level 2 Member

Victoria

156 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2009 :  1:47:12 PM  Show Profile Send OldKwak a Private Message  

Hi, I think you need to be careful on carbies, the size of the carbies is NOT restricted but the TYPE is.

For example, any attempt to use Mik TM34 and larger type carbies might draw a little attention (illogically), primarily because they were not available at the time - I assume.

To be clear, NOT because they were a flat slide carbie but because Mikuni didn't make TMs at the time and Not because they were necessarily better.

The Mikuni VM type carbies (round slide)are OK, (even those produced today) and in particular those specials such as the VM29 and VM33 smoothbores.

By the way the only two VM smoothbore sizes produced by Mikuni were in 29 and 33 mm. They have since produced the TM series (flatsides) that they proclaim as smoothbores as well, so don't get confused.

On the other hand Lectrons and EI carbies from the era are probably OK (despite that they are flat side carbies. The modern round slide CR Keihins (even though they were not available at the time)- as distinct from the older style Keihins are also OK.

I think the Horner Vincents also utilise a type of flat slide carbie modeled on an ancient pattern. So flat slides are not logically prohibited it just depends on who made them and when, I think.

With the onset of rule changes from next year for P5 it seems the whole question of carbies will be open for discussion again because in the 1982 year, it seems there were a wide range of carbies used on racers all over the world on an experimental basis. Eddie Lawson used a number including flat slides. Does this mean the ban on TM Mikunies will continue, only time will tell.

This does not even deal with the intricacies Mikuni BS type and other CV carbies that are held in high regard in some areas. For example it might be possible to put carbies refined by the manufacturers up until 2003 on a pre 1982 bike. The possibilities!!!!
Go to Top of Page

mboddy
Level 2 Member

26 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2009 :  2:07:39 PM  Show Profile Send mboddy a Private Message  

quote:
Originally posted by OldKwak

With the onset of rule changes from next year for P5 it seems the whole question of carbies will be open for discussion again because in the 1982 year ...

This is the first I have heard about changing the P5 cutoff date to 1982.
Where can I get more info on these rule changes.
Go to Top of Page

Bummers
Level 3 Member

Queensland

244 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2009 :  6:01:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bummers's Homepage Send Bummers a Private Message  

Mark - You better read this: You must be logged in to see this link.

There was a bit there I didn't know about either.

Bernie

Go to Top of Page

OldKwak
Level 2 Member

Victoria

156 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2009 :  6:46:56 PM  Show Profile Send OldKwak a Private Message  

Sorry guys, I thought we all knew about this, this is one Rex pushed through initially and it looks as if we are all going to have to wear. Best we update quick. Pull out the cheque books and get ready for the arguments about whats in and whats out.

I don't think there was a lot of thought given to the consequences, I raised this issue some time ago on this site but no one got on board. I think we all stuffed on this.
Go to Top of Page

OldKwak
Level 2 Member

Victoria

156 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2009 :  9:10:28 PM  Show Profile Send OldKwak a Private Message  

By the way, what about floating discs, does this mean the charade that has gone on for some time (re: the Suzuki GP floater) has now gone down the drain and we can use any floating disc? By 1982 there were plenty of versions of floaters around.

Is the ban on the Suzuki Katana still on?
Go to Top of Page

Calvin
Level 1 Member

Victoria

3 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2009 :  9:42:23 PM  Show Profile Send Calvin a Private Message  

thanks for the tips on the carbs oldkwak. i got everything i needed, and more, out of the detailed response u gave, thanks. some very interesting points made about the 1982 cut off date aswell. will be interested to see what comes of it all...

hold it on!!!
Go to Top of Page

mboddy
Level 2 Member

26 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2009 :  10:39:19 PM  Show Profile Send mboddy a Private Message  

TZ250H and TZ250J with powervalves?
Go to Top of Page

GD66

Western Australia

390 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2009 :  10:45:08 PM  Show Profile Send GD66 a Private Message  

Don't the Horner Vincents use Gardner carbs or a derivative ? Gardners are P3 eligible.
Go to Top of Page

matcho mick
Advanced Member

New South Wales

570 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2009 :  10:53:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit matcho mick's Homepage Send matcho mick a Private Message  

,hmmm,i thought the 82 cutoff was canned at the 'later" sydney forum,J model kwaka cases were a safety issue (stronger,but visually same as pre 80),not mentioned was the hp gains from the cylinder head ,also certain Ducati factory pantah based F series bikes would flog proper pantah based bikes (boo hoo),anyone up on the copy of the minutes arising from that meeting??,
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums © 2000 - 2024 Go To Top Of Page
This page was put together in 0.25 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 by Classic Motorcycling Australia | Web design by: Greening Computer Services